Family protests relative’s death in police custody


CHAKWAL: Death of an accused in police custody on Tuesday left the relatives shocked who gathered at District Headquarters Hospital to protest against the police.

Though a post-mortem report is awaited, the family members alleged that the death of the accused was caused by torture.

According to relatives, a team of City Police Station picked up Mateen Khan, an Afghan national on Aug 12 from Dudhial on the charges of car lifting.

“The police also arrested four more men of our family including me at night raids on the same date,” Mohammad Akram, the cousin of Mateen Khan, told Dawn.

He added that a few days later police freed three men including him after receiving Rs300,000 from them.

“They were demanding Rs1million for the release of Mateen Khan,” Akram said, adding somehow they managed to arrange Rs500,000 and were to give to the police on Tuesday for the release of Mateen Khan.

He claimed that they owned some land in Afghanistan which they sold a couple of days ago to arrange another Rs500,000. “One of our relatives was bringing the money to Pakistan and was yet to reach Chakwal,” he maintained.

However, the relatives were left shocked when they were informed about the death of Mateen Khan on Tuesday.

“Police told us that Mateen Khan died of cardiac arrest but the torture marks on the body belied their claim,” Imran Khan another relative of the victim said.

The heirs alleged that police also snatched Rs43,000 from Mateen Khan after arresting him. A medical board was set up on the order of a civil judge who conducted an autopsy on the body.

According to Akram police returned Rs43,000 to them and handed over the body for burial in Afghanistan. On the other hand police came up with the claim that the accused was not arrested on Sept 4 rather than on August 12. “He died of cardiac arrest rather than torture,” SHO Zaraat Baloch said. He also refuted the allegations of bribery.

Published in Dawn, September 7th, 2017

Courtesy: DAWN