CHAKWAL: The owner of a fuel shop and a customer sustained burn injuries after a fire broke out in the shop Sunday morning.
Zaffar Iqbal, a resident of the Rehmania locality in Chakwal city, was operating an illegal fuel shop in Bhoun village.
On Sunday morning, a customer came in asking for petrol in a bottle, and as he was pouring the petrol, he lit a cigarette, which caused the fuel to catch fire, the investigating officer at the Kallar Kahar police station, Safdar Shah, told Dawn.
The shop, which contained diesel and petrol, was engulfed in the fire.
Rescue 1122 personnel, Bhoun patrolling police and Kallar Kahar police reached the fire, and it took the rescuers around two hours to extinguish the fire.
Traffic was also suspended on Chakwal-Sargodha Road.
Mr Iqbal was taken to the District Headquarters Hospital, from where he was referred to Rawalpindi due to his critical condition.
Civil Defence officer Talib Hussain told Dawn a case was registered against Mr Iqbal on Dec 2, 2016, and his shop was sealed because he was operating an illegal business. “According to the law, nobody can sell dangerous fuel, such as diesel and petrol,” he said.
He said that when the case was registered, Mr Iqbal gave an undertaking and said he would not sell dangerous fuel, after which his shop was re-opened.
Mr Hussain said a new application has been filed against him with the Kallar Kahar police since he “restarted the same illegal practice”.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Kazam Hussain Naqvi confirmed that a new case against Mr Iqbal has been registered.
Published in Dawn, March 20th, 2017
Courtesy : DAWN